Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pink Stripes and a Ruffled Skirt

First, the big news.  Babykins has her first tooth!!!  For those of you who heard this same news a month ago only to discover it was not actually a tooth, I guarantee that this time it's the real deal.

Even before her tooth, I would say, completely objectively, that Babykins is the cutest baby ever.  But despite the chubby, rosy cheeks, sparkling blue eyes, fluffy blond hair, and captivating smile, I accept that Babykins, like most infants, is fairly androgynous.  Put her in a green onesie or her blue and white striped outfit, and I can understand why people need to ask whether she's a boy or girl.

Sometimes, though, people are just dumb.  A list of outfits my child has been wearing recently when someone told me what a cute little boy I have:

1) A onesie that, although green, read "Daddy's Princess."
2) A t-shirt with neon pink and green lady bugs with a skirt edged in pink.
3) A light violet onesie with purple hearts.
4) And my favorite, yesterday she was wearing a pink and white striped shirt with a ruffled denim skirt.  Two people commented on my little boy's eyes.

Seriously people.  I'm not a cruel mommy.  I wouldn't do that to a boy.

Oddly enough, women tend to be the biggest offenders.  Most men carefully word their compliments, simply remarking on the cute baby.  Meanwhile, an amazing number of women will follow up their blunder by saying that people often thought their baby girls were boys, too.  Apparently, that experience didn't make them any more carefyk when talking to other people's babies.

Luckily, Babykins doesn't seem to mind.  She's a sucker for a compliment, and she smiles just as widely when people tell her she's a cute little boy as she does when they tell her she's a pretty little girl.  And all I really want is to see Babykins smile, so keep the cooing coming, accurate or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment