Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Does is count as a lie if they can't understand?

Now that Babykins is able to sit up on her own, she is vehemently against being strapped into her car seat.  If she could talk, her argument would be something along the lines of, "Mother, when you strap me in, I can't see what's going on around me.  Plus, it's harder to play with my toys, and I would appreciate the opportunity to practice my new independent sitting skills."  Since she can't talk, she starts screaming and continues to cry until we get where we're going, making our 5 minute drive to the grocery store feel much, much longer.

So the other day I hear myself saying, "Babykins, I have to strap you in.  The President says all babies have to be buckled in and we have to do what the President says."  A blatant lie, right up there with, "This will only hurt a little" and "Of course there's a Santa Claus."  But does it count as a lie if Babykins can't understand what I'm saying?  I vote "no."  Of course, I can't be sure she doesn't understand.  I constantly try to get her to understand when she's crying and I tell her I'll feed her right now that she can stop crying (it doesn't work).  And James Frey blamed his alcoholism on earaches from when he was a baby, so who knows what permanent damage I may be doing.






I promise I'll stop blaming the seat belt on the president in a couple months, and in the meantime, we may just give up on car trips.

1 comment:

  1. If all we had to blame on the President was seatbelts, how happy we would be... :)

    Meanwhile, your exploits amuse me greatly, and provide great refreshment when I am sitting at my desk at work thinking of all the things I'd rather do. Can't really say that driving to the grocery store with a screaming Babykins tops the list, but it's not at the bottom of the list, either! Hope you're settling in in Hawaii okay. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete