Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Little Miss Independent

Babykins has become very coordinated.  Last night, with one quick, fluid motion, she pulled her pacifier out of her mouth and popped it into hubbykins mouth before we had any idea what she was planning.  This new found coordination has a lot of great results.  She rarely cries for us to help her with a toy these days, fewer toys are accidentally poked into her eye, and she can usually get her sippy cup into her mouth without assistance.

The new coordination has also made her more independent, which,while a major goal of parenting, also requires us to be on our toes all of the time.  Yesterday, Babykins decided that as a big six-month-er, she no longer needs my help holding slices of cantaloupe (one of her favorite foods).  Unfortunately, it's a slippery melon and now instead of using my time to hold it while she eats, I'm spending all of my time picking it up from the (rented, white carpeted) floor.  Luckily, she has yet to realize that this could become an extremely fun (for her) game.

Her independence and coordination have also extended her reach.  Things that I once deemed in safe locations are now being torn, thrown to the floor, and chewed on.  My to-do list, left on the floor seemingly a safe distance away, barely survived the morning.  The tin that holds my keys has dive bombed the floor more than once as we walked by.  And two days ago while walking through a store in the mall, I looked down to discover that Babykins had grabbed a shirt and was pulling it along behind us.

All of which greatly pleases the little one.  You can watch her focus on something that she's decided to go after, start to lean toward it, and a little gleam comes to her eye that announces, "Look out world, here comes Babykins!"

No comments:

Post a Comment