Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Babykins Gruff

Now that Babykins has conquered crawling and assisted walking, she's decided it's time to tackle new challenges.  After considering ballet (the "Black Swan" commercials scare her), weightlifting (too easy), and opera (she only knows 2 words), she settled on climbing.

I had noticed Babykins trying to climb things over the last week.  The sheets slid off the bed as she tried to pull herself up, and drawer handles have become dangerous as she tries to use them for footholds.  I was not prepared, however, for her ascent up the sofa.

The entire wall behind our sofa is a mirror, and when Babykins stands on the sofa she can just see herself in it over the back.  As I watched in amazement (and with my hands about half an inch away in case she slipped), Babykins grabbed onto the top of the sofa, dug her toes and knees into the back, and started to climb.

With fierce concentration and her little tongue sticking out, she had soon propelled herself to the top of the sofa, where she promptly licked the mirror.  It was a moment of triumph for Babykins, and of total fear for me.  With Babykins now on the move vertically as well as horizontally, absolutely nothing is safe.  Let the games begin!

Babykins' Version of Mount Everest

No comments:

Post a Comment