Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Apologies to Mommies of Messy Faces

I remember a time, in my younger and more foolish years, when I would see women out and about with small children who had messy faces and think, "Come on.  How hard can it be to wash a kid's face?  Make an effort."  I know better, now.

I recently found myself at the mall staring at Babykins, trying to figure out how she got a purple bruise on her forehead.  As I leaned closer to inspect it, I realized that it was actually purple baby food, left over from what was apparently an unsuccessful attempt to wash her face after lunch.  And yesterday, as we sang in playgroup, I realized belatedly that Babykins had stored part of her breakfast banana on her chin.  I swear I had taken a cloth to her face after breakfast, but wiping up a squirming, fussy baby as she shakes her head and waves her hands is a task on par with bathing a cat.

So as I find myself recently in the ranks of women with messy-faced babies, allow me to extend this apology.  I know now that what looks to others like a messy face is the victory badge of squirmy babies everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment