Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Training: 1, Sleep: 0

Awhile ago, we discovered that Babykins likes to sleep on her side.  Roll her on her side when she wakes up at night, and you're guaranteed almost instant sleep.  With her new found proficiency at rolling, however, she has started to flip from her back or side onto her tummy.

For most babies, this would be a dream come true.  After months of being placed on the back to sleep (Back is Best!), having the ability to switch to tummy sleeping is a great change.  And Babykins desperately wants to sleep on her tummy.  The problem is that she's too well trained.

We spent months teaching her that tummy time means raising your head, pushing up on your arms, and trying to move.  So when Babykins rolls onto her tummy at night, despite being exhausted, she raises her head, pushes up on her arms, crawls backwards until she's stuck in a corner of her crib, and begins to cry.  It's one of the saddest things I've seen.

Especially since, unlike other babies, Babykins seems unable to figure out how to put her head down.  Which meant that I spent much of last night trying to re-train Babykins in the art of lowering her head to the mattress and turning it to the side.  She finally got the hang of head lowering, but the turning part remains elusive.  Thus, Hubbykins and I spent the night sleeping in her room so that I could check every couple hours that she was still breathing despite having her face smashed directly down in the mattress.

Oh, baby raising book, why don't you cover the topic, "What to do when your child won't turn her head"?

No comments:

Post a Comment