Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Saga Continues...

After discovering that Babykins doesn't like sleeping in her "cage," Hubbykins and I baby-proofed her room and moved her mattress to the floor.  This was fantastic.  Babykins went right to sleep the next night.  About an hour after bedtime, though, she rolled off the mattress.  No big deal - it's only an inch thick.  We put her back on the mattress, and she immediately passed out.

By the fourth time she rolled off the mattress that night, I was exhausted.  I never knew there were so many ways to fall out of bed.  There's the scootch to the bottom and end up sitting on the floor at the foot of the mattress method.  There's the head hanging off the side approach.  There's the sleeping with head on mattress while kneeling on the floor position.  And, of course, the ever popular getting disoriented and crawling off the side.

So last night, Hubbykins and I decided to try having Babykins just sleep on the floor.  Not only would she be out of the cage, but, as the popular saying goes, "Babies can't fall off the floor."  While having your baby sleep on the floor may sound a little tough, I think we did a lovely job setting up a bed for her.  We tucked the edges of the blanket under the dresser and bed so that she couldn't get tangled, then crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.


Aside from just looking pretty, this bed had a number of deluxe features to make it especially Babykins friendly.  Notice the dresser drawer, taped shut to keep Babykins from pulling it open in the night (I swear, we did try to just remove the handle, but it's not as easy as it seems).


Also take note of the multiple pacifiers, in an attempt to have one always within Babykins' reach.


We also left a few non-chokeable toys nearby in the hope that if Babykins woke up during the night, she might quietly entertain herself (yes, we're slightly delusional).


Finally, we put up a barricade to keep Babykins from engaging in her favorite activity - rolling under the bed.


It didn't really work, of course.  Babykins still woke up multiple times during the night, crying for her pacifier, wanting her back rubbed, and needing to eat.  But not once did she fall off the mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment