Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Babykins' Big Night Out

This weekend, instead of visions of Sugar Plum Fairies, Babykins had visions of Christmas trees, marching bands,and Santa dancing through her head.  Saturday night we attended the Honolulu City Lights tree lighting and electric parade.

We arrived at 5:30 to secure our spot, and spent the next hour chatting with Hubbykins' co-workers.  Babykins was very patient with all of the grown up chit chat, using the time to charm everyone around us.  At 6:30, they lit the tree, a 55 foot Norfolk Pine (personally, I'd been hoping for a palm tree, but Honolulu decided to go the more traditional route).  The changing lights and sparkling ornaments kept Babykins captivated for the 5 minutes until the parade came by.

I had been a little worried that Babykins would begin to cry when the first marching band came through.  The last time she saw a parade, it was the Memorial Day parade in Qtown, and I quickly had to take her inside because of the noise.  This time, though, our big, bad 7-monther actually started crying when the band left.  She loved every minute of the parade, and watched with rapt attention, eyes and mouth both wide open, for the entire hour.

 By this time, it was 7:45, and Hubbykins and I decided to brave a little baby wrath by stopping at the small carnival where they had food booths, keiki (children's) rides, and a Christmas concert.  True to form, Babykins was an angel, chomping away contentedly on her Cheerios, listening to the music, and using Hubbykins and I as jungle gyms while we had our dinner.

As soon as we finished dinner we hurried Babykins home, finally popping her in to bed at 9:15, more than an hour past bed time.  She woke up every 45 minutes throughout the night, but really, who can blame her?  Who has time to sleep when there are so many fabulous new sights and sounds to think about?
Honolulu City Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment