Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Things We Might Not Tell the Doctor

At Babykins' last check-up, the doctor gave us a list of foods we could begin introducing to the Babykins' diet.  It included things like whole grain cereal (e.g., Cheerios) - check.  Eggs - tried and rejected.  And liver - not a chance.  It also listed fruits - Babykins loves cantaloupe and apples - and veggies, which are not so high on Babykins' list of likes.

The list also discourages baby food, stating that the only people who benefit from these purees are the baby food companies.  I have to admit that from a pure convenience perspective, I'm not ready to give up the ready-made baby foods.  Although the last time the doctor asked about what we're feeding her, I may have forgotten to mention that they're still a part of her diet.  After all, we only buy the ones that are pure fruit and water.

At Babykins' next check-up, I may also conveniently forget to mention that today I introduced my child to the joys of (salt-free) french fries.  Auntie MO, Babykins, and I were having lunch at a burger joint, and Babykins stared so hard at the fries that I just couldn't resist slipping her a bite.  It was quite possibly the first food she actively wanted more of on the first try.  6 or 7 bites later I was simultaneously pleased that she was being such a good eater, and feeling guilty that I was giving her such junk.

Either way, it made for a lovely lunch, which Babykins promptly washed down with some mama milk.  And when I tell the story later, it's possible those fries will magically morph into baked potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment