Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Sorry about your breakup...

People often talk about gender stereotypes.  When you look at Babykins, it seems like she's been swallowed by them.  She dances around the house dressed all in pink, waving her magic wand, and holding her Cinderella doll in her hand.  But there's nothing wrong with a little pink and the belief that you're a princess.

Lately, I've been much more concerned about the stereotypes for boys.  I'm not talking about playing with trucks here.  I'm talking about the disturbing number of sentences that start with the phrase, "Just like a man..."

So far, I've heard, "Just like a man...

  • Always fussing
  • Never happy with anything
  • Always making a mess
The list goes on.  And though it's always said as a jest, it's never a positive statement.  

Seriously?  Babyroo isn't anything like a man.  He's everything like a baby.  And I'm sorry that at some point you had a bad breakup with a wretch of a man, but please don't put that baggage on my 4-month-old.  He's wonderful and sweet, and we plan on raising him so that he stays that way.

2 comments:

  1. I think about that sometimes, too. We, as girls, are allowed to get SUPER OFFENDED when we're pigeonholed into being defined by our gender (as rightly we should) but at the same time, people do it to men pretty frequently, too. And I get it. Men haven't ever had to overcome the things that women have in the past. I so get that. But still. If we're fighting for equality and trying to break stereotypes, shouldn't it be for both sides? Otherwise, what's the point? If we stereotype boys, girls are, by default, going to find themselves still stereotyped, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sara. That's what got me thinking about it. If someone looked at Babykins and said, "Just like a woman...always late" everyone who could hear would get upset! But no one seems to mind when it's said about boys!

    ReplyDelete