Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

BSL

A few months ago, we started working on "Baby Sign Language" with Babykins.  This is basically normal sign language, but focused on the words most important to your baby - think "mommy," "daddy," and "diaper".  The hope is that long before your baby's able to talk, he or she will be able to understand your signs and even make a few herself.

We stopped working on this when it became clear that Babykins was still too young to control her hands, but recently she seems to be developing her own version.  Call it "Babykins Sign Language."  Some of the signs are obvious.  When Babykins wants something, she reaches toward it, then opens and closes her hand.  When she likes something, she waves both arms quickly up and down. 

Some of the signs, unfortunately, are a little embarassing.  Lately, when Babykins wants to nurse, she's started climbing onto my lap and sucking on any exposed flesh she can find.  My arm, shoulder, and neck have all suffered.  And if that doesn't get my attention fast enough, she'll start slobbering on my chest, leaving large wet marks on my shirt.  This is all fine and dandy at home, but something I'd happily avoid in public.

Luckily, Babykins is starting to recognize the symbol for milk (a sign that unfortunately looks like you're milking a cow).  Fingers crossed she learns how to make the sign herself soon.

3 comments:

  1. This is bringing back memories of mommykin's behavior...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmy,

    Your blog is the highlight of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, if only we could have had this conversation back in the dorms... it never crossed my mind that we'd ever be worried about baby hickeys. I think the funniest part is the irony :) This one definitely made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete