Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gender Norms

Recently, Babykins and I were talking about work, when she comes out with this statement, "Boys go to work.  Girls don't go to work."  Oh, no.

Now, I have spent 11/2 of the last 2 1/2 years as a stay-at-home mom.  Which means that although I have been home with Babykins a lot, she has seen me go to work.  But apparently this hasn't quite left its mark, so I quickly correct her, explaining that BOTH men and women can go to work.  I remind her that I have worked, and will go back to work when Babyroo is older.

Anti-feminist crisis averted.

Until Friday, when, on the way home from daycare, Babykins suddenly announces from the back of the car, "Boys go to school.  Girls don't go to school."  WHAT?!  Who is putting these ideas in my toddler's head?  It's not like we live in some scary country where girls are banned from education.  I once again correct her, assuring her that both boys AND girls go to school.

Then, over the weekend, we're getting ready for bath time, and Babykins tells me she has to go to the bathroom.  She walks over to the toilet and stands facing it.  "Mommy, boys do wee-wee like this."  Then she turns around and sits down.  "And girls do wee-wee like this."

Finally, a boys vs. girls statement I can agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment