Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Return to Nursing


Babykins nursed for 22 months.  In fact, the only reason I was finally able to finish weaning her is because I got pregnant with Babyroo.

Babykins is now a big, bad 30-monther, and hasn’t thought about nursing in a long time.  So when Babyroo came home from the hospital, and nursed for the first time, Babykins was intrigued.  What exactly was going on?

I explained that her baby brother couldn’t eat big kid food, yet, so he had to get all of his food as mommy milk.  Babykins thought about this for a minute, then nodded her head wisely.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  I had been waiting for old memories of the joy of nursing to surface, leading to a jealous melt down.

Just as I finished my sigh, Babykins looked at me and asked, “I nurse?”  I said no, explaining that she was a big girl, and big girls don’t nurse.  Luckily, Babykins likes being a big girl, so she just agreed and wandered away.

But the topic of nursing stayed on her mind, and she has carefully observed Babyroo.

Which led to this exchange the other night as I was nursing Babyroo while Babykins ate her dinner:

Babykins: Baby brother nursing?
Me: Yes.  He’s having his dinner, just like you!  (At this point, I moved Babyroo from one side to the other.)
Babykins: Baby brother switch sides?
Me: Yes.
Babykins (pointing): That side has milk, and the other side has food?
Me: No, they both just have milk.
Babykins (looking disappointed): Oh.  (Thinks for a minute.) Mama!  You’re full of milk!

“Mama, you’re full of milk!,” has become a standard phrase now for Babykins when she sees Babyroo nursing.  I’m just waiting for her to yell this loudly the first time we nurse in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment