Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

I know it's been a long time since I posted (going back to work has really cramped my blogging style), so I'll try to make this a really good one...

We travelled to the Big Island for the weekend, where we stayed in a tiny town called Volcano Village.  With only 2,500 residents, Volcano Village actually makes the Q look big, and is nestled at the foot of Kilauea Volcano.

We were just going for 4 days, so we tried to pack light.  We were a little worried about whether we'd be able to take all of our luggage on the plane, though...

Whew!  Luckily, Babykins fits perfectly.  Looks like she can come with us!  First, though, we'll have to catch her...



On Friday, we went to Volcano National Park to do some hiking.  Babykins was undaunted by the long walk stretching before us...

Never fear - this road's been closed to traffic for years!
She was fascinated by the steam that was coming up from a fissure in the ground.  "Mama," she asked, chewing nervously on her fingers, "Is there a dragon down there?"


The next day we went for a 4-mile hike through the Kilauea Iki volcano caldera.  Hubbykins carried Babykins in a Snugli the entire way.  They stopped to explore many interesting things along the path...


It's a good thing they were there to hold up this ledge!


After visiting the volcano, we went to see Tree Molds.  These are created when flowing lava hardens around a tree before the tree burns up.  There were 5 or 6 in the field.  "Look!" cried Babykins. "I can see my shadow!"


We finished up our holiday with a trip to a Japanese garden.  It was a beautiful day, and Babykins had a wonderful time running around in her usual Hawaiian outfit...a diaper and shoes.


After a fun filled trip, it was time to head home.  Babykins entertained herself on the short flight by reading up on Bonzai...

Happy Memorial Day, and Thank You to all who serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment