Aloha!

I recently read this section, and realized I hadn't updated it in over a year! In that time, we've moved to Australia, had a new baby (added to this blog as Babyroo!), and Babykins is now 3! It's been an exciting year.

I'm not even pretending anymore that I'll add to this blog every few days. It's more like once or twice a month - if I'm lucky. But thanks to everyone for continuing to read it. I love my family, and I hope you do, too!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Babykins and Mama Discuss Weaning

When Babykins was born, I decided I would follow all of the baby book advice and nurse her for the first year.  By the time Babykins' first birthday rolled around, I was ready to start the weaning process.

Me: Babykins, wouldn't it be fun to start eating more food and nursing less?
Babykins: Vigorously shakes head, "No."

Ok.  So maybe she wasn't ready.  We'd wait awhile and try again.

Over the next two months, perhaps sensing that the end was near, Babykins actually began nursing more.

Me: Babykins, it's time to start weaning.  Why don't we start by not nursining in the middle of the night?
Babykins: How about if I only nurse two times a night?
Me: One time.
Babykins: How about four times?
Me: Two times it is.

I started working full time, and we managed to drop to 3 times a day during the week.  During the weekends, though, it was another story.

Me: Babykins, why don't we try sticking to 3 times a day during the weekend, too.
Babykins: Noooooo!!!!!
Me: I know you can do it.  You're a big, bad 15 month-er!
Babykins:  Waaaaaa!!! (Translation: I love you so much, mommy, and all I want to do is nurse, and why are you being so mean to me, you're stinky!)
Me: Well, if you're that upset about it, maybe...
Babykins: Yea!!!! (Runs squealing into her bedroom, both hands thrown above her head making the nursing sign.)

Maybe we'll try again at 18 months...

1 comment:

  1. nursing is good.
    in less you're trying to get pregnant, i suggest letting Babykins nurse, but not if Momkins is sleeping or you're both out and about. good luck!!

    love your blog!

    ReplyDelete